Young Professionals, Early Career Researchers and Students are the future of our industry. The contribution that younger professionals make to the development of new technologies, innovative ideas and complex projects should not be underestimated. This year, Locate is celebrating the work and achievements of our future leaders with a dedicated Symposium and professional development workshop.
To support their attendance at Locate, reduced registration fees apply for all member young professionals, early career researchers and students.
Need help encouraging your employer to send you along to Locate22? Download our draft letter of support HERE.
- Some scholarships may also available to attend the conference, covering registration fees and/or travel grants. Further details will be released soon including how to apply.
YOUNG PROFESSIONAL, STUDENT AND EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP
Tuesday 24 May from 0900 – 1230
Registration is open to young professionals, students, and early career researchers only. There is no cost to attend, however please secure your place when completing the online registration form.
A dedicated workshop focusing on career paths, problem solving and professional development for the younger and newer members of the spatial industry. The workshop will include a panel of industry leaders discussing careers and skills, a presentation on communication and soft skills, and opportunities to discuss ideas to address some of the key issues we face in the spatial industry. Open to anyone aged 36 or under, as well as full time students and early career researchers. Attendees will make new connections, learn how to make the most of their time at Locate22 and gain valuable insights to take back to the office or classroom.
This panel brings together experts and leaders from diverse backgrounds within the spatial industry to discuss career paths, professional development opportunities and soft skills and to share their experiences with the next generation of leaders.
Peter Frosch, Department of Defence
Maurits van der Vlugt, Mercury Project Solutions
Kate Fairlie, Land Equity International
Prof Dr. Sisi Zlatanova, University of New South Wales
Mina Jahanshahi, Veris
Gretchen Irvine, Geoscience Australia
Breakout groups – exploring common problems and solutions in the spatial industry across the themes of:
Tuesday 24 May from 1400 – 1630
No cost to attend and pre-registration is not required.
Hosted by the Locate YP Committee – Chairs: April Saleeba and Oscar So.
The Symposium will exclusively showcase ideas and projects by the industry’s high achieving young professionals, students, and early career researchers. Young Professionals and students are the future of our industry. The contribution that younger professionals make to the development of new technologies, innovative ideas and complex projects should not be underestimated. This session is open to everyone and anyone with an interest in the future of the industry. We invite all senior leaders to bring their younger professionals along and see what is happening across the industry, followed by networking leading into the Welcome Reception. Prizes will be awarded for the best presentations! CLICK HERE to view the program including Symposium presentations.
SUPPORT SCHEME SUBMISSION SITE
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: CLOSED
This year Locate22 is excited to offer support for young professionals, students and early career researchers to attend the event. The conference support scheme will provide either of the following grants to successful recipients:
1. Registration support – registration costs, including the Welcome Reception, dedicated networking session and the APSEA dinner will be fully covered.
2. Travel/accommodation support – up to $600 to assist with travel and accommodation costs associated with attending Locate22.
All recipients will have the opportunity to meet with the company/representative that provided the support at the conference and attend a dedicated networking and mentoring event as part of the Locate Symposium on the Tuesday.
You are able to apply if you fall into one of the below categories:
- Young Professional – employed in the survey or spatial industry, including government, aged 36 or under on 1 June 2022
- Early Career Researcher – academic within 5 years of award of their PhD and as accepted by the Australian Research Council
- Student – Current full time university or TAFE student
- All successful recipients of the support scheme will need to be available to attend all days of Locate22 in person, in Canberra (COVID/border restrictions not withstanding), including the Locate Symposium and networking event.
- All successful recipients of the support scheme will need to be available to participate in the conference as a volunteer in some capacity, for example: greeter for attendees arriving at registration, rapporteur for one of the concurrent sessions, assist as host of a social event.
- All successful recipients of the full support scheme only will also need to be available for a potential Q&A session in the Hub.
- All successful recipients will need to provide a short report of their experiences at the conference, with picture, for the company that provided the financial support and Locate22 to be used on social media or in marketing.
To enter you will need to submit the following items:
- A brief CV (pdf)
- An introductory paragraph or two (max 200 words) describing what you hope to get out of attending Locate22 (pdf)
- A letter of recommendation from your manager, academic supervisor or lecturer (pdf)
- Answer the question: What is the most exciting innovation or change for the survey/spatial industry in the coming years and what benefits might it bring? Your entry can be in any format – e.g. written, visual or video – it could be a poster, a report or essay or even a story. Feel free to include pictures, diagrams or graphics to help demonstrate your point and make it interesting – use your imagination! (any uploaded document is accepted)
- Written or visual: max 500 words, fits on one (1) A3 sheet or two (2) A4 pages (or less)
- Video response: no more than 2 minutes long
- If you are submitting a video, you will need to upload a file (i.e. word of pdf) that has a short introduction and then include the hyperlink to the video submission (e.g. dropbox/g-drive).
Entries will be judged on originality and insight, presentation, and relevance to the overall Locate theme of Locate in Action: Positioning the nation for a brighter future. Entries may be published or displayed as part of the conference.
SUPPORT SCHEME SPONSORSHIP
Locate Conferences Australia want to encourage the next generation of Young Professionals to attend, network and engage with the Surveying and Spatial Event – Locate22. This is your opportunity to help a Young Professional experience Locate22 and build their network and career. The support scheme wouldn’t be possible without the support from our sponsors, and for that we are grateful.
We are currently seeking sponsors who would be willing to support the future of our industry through sponsorship. Packages are as little as $660! For more information about the package, please see below.